Coming up next:

My first trip to a dispensary. Guess what? It's not what you see on tv!
Stay tuned!

New feature for Facebook users that want to leave a comment!

Wanna leave a comment but don't have GMAIL? At the end of each post there will be a "Click here!". This will take you directly to You're Not Crazy's Facebook page. There you will be able to leave your lovely comments!!

Or if you would like to visit the You're Not Crazy's Facebook page...click on the link below! Don't forget to like!!

Monday, August 26, 2013

Fibromyalgia...I was angry to get this diagnosis

As a nurse myself, we were taught that Fibromyalgia was not actually a diagnosis. That it was given primarily to women with mental disorders. Women who didn't have anything better in their life than to complain. Mostly bored housewives. So, when the Rheumatologist said that she thought I had Fibro, I was livid! I mean really! I'm not a bored housewife. I worked 50 plus hours a week, had 2 kids, very active and that doctor actually had the audacity to say that I had Fibro! How dare her! The Rheumy seen the anger in my eyes. She asked "what's wrong Jenn?". I explained to her about what I was taught. She said "Jenn, what you were taught is old thinking. There have been great advancements in Fibromyalgia. Specifically, physicians realizing it IS an actual diagnosis."
At that point, I still wasn't sure if I believed her or not. I did come across a doctor here and there thinking that Fibro did not exist. They never said that but you can just tell by their expressions on their face. But whatever!
For the longest time I affectionately called Fibro "the shut up" diagnosis. I felt as though the doctors didn't really know what was wrong, so let's just call it Fibro to shut her up. I have done my research. I have read and read on Fibro. I do believe that it is real. I also believe that it may be the beginning of another medical condition that hasn't reared it's ugly head. Lupus and MS are similar. And if you read, many, many people with Lupus and MS also have Fibro. Hmm... just sayin!
So, yes, I have Fibro. I do have the trigger points. I do have the fatigue. I do have the chronic pain.

Just remember, it's not in your head, your pain is real and never let a physician make you think otherwise!

No comments:

Post a Comment